I pulled TWO all-nighters this week which is exactly one more than I did throughout all of college. Go me!
Last night I conducted an all night wildlife survey for work. But Christmas Eve was my more noteworthy all-nighter.
Here's the short story: Emmett accidentally ate a bit of a peanut on Christmas Eve. He had a full-blown anaphylactic reaction that landed us in the ER all night. He was wheezing, had angry red and bright white hives from head to toe, low blood pressure, and he vomited vomited VOMITED. (There was a lot of vomit involved.) (A LOT.)
OH YOU GUYS.
It really did stink.
Emmett is fine. At about 4am, I convinced the ER doctor to let us go home. She wanted him to stay a while longer but my logic ("I've got three other kids at home and it's Christmas morning and I just might be able to salvage it if we can get into bed for an hour and I promise not to let him out of my sight... like, EVER AGAIN") swayed her to let us head home.
It takes a lot of effort to put Christmas together for four young children. None of that mattered at all, truly. At about 2am, Brett & I texted about post-poning Christmas for a day. But Emmett was ok and I just wanted to be together on Christmas morning. We got that wish.
There is so much I should say about this particular experience. Since there hasn't been a good reason for great caution, we've approached the whole peanut allergy condition casually. I don't know what to say now. I can't bring myself to think about it too much. Now that we know what can happen... I just...
So instead, here's a few memorable points from the experience:
- I gave my first epinephrine injection. Very easy to deliver but also very easy to hesitate and convince yourself not to do it. (I could use an adrenaline injection right now and we DO have another one left...)
- Cal slept through the whole ordeal, including Emmett vomiting in his bed and our turning the lights on to clean up. The next morning, Cal was all "hey Emmett, why weren't you in your bed?" and Emmett was like, "DUDE I was at the HOSPITAL."
- Anaphylactic reactions don't necessarily happen right away. Did you know that? We did not. Things turned bad for Emmett between two and four hours post-exposure.
- I'd do anything for this boy.
Yet I cannot seem to grasp that this is a serious thing. I should say more but I don't even know how to begin.
He is ok. I'll leave it at that.